Ten books that have stayed with me

Having been tagged by Liz Loves Books, I decided to see if I could narrow my All-Time Favorites list down to Ten that have Stayed with me.  So, here's my stab at it:

1.  A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett.  (Except my edition was titled 'The Princess in the Attic' and had the most beautiful design on the cover, reminiscent of Persia.)  I loved Sarah Crewe and her glamorous life, but when she lost her father, she also lost her fortune and was relegated to the attic and to servanthood, but she didn't lose her strength, her generosity and her spirit.  In the end, she triumphed over her persecutors, and I cheered.  To this day, I would be proud if I could say I were as brave and as true as Sarah Crewe.

2.  Captain From Castile by Samuel Shellabarger.  Another one I read in my impressionable youth, and it was full of action and adventure, and escaping from dangers by the skin of your teeth.  It introduced me to the horrors of the Spanish Inquisition, with our heroes narrowly escaping death by fire, only to end up on the other side of the world in danger of having their beating hearts cut out by Aztec priests.  Harrowing.

3.  The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain.  A classic case of mistaken identity, and a rags to riches and riches to rags story all rolled into one.

4.  The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien.  The first time I knew that, just because I was growing older, it didn't mean I had to give up make-believe.  Joyousness.

6.  Passages by Connie Willis.  Haunting.

5. The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel.  Loved this one.  The first pre-historical novel I'd ever read, it turned me on to a whole new genre.

6.  Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George.  I love Margaret George, and this is probably my favorite of hers.  It's Cleopatra, it's Ancient Egypt, it's Caesar and Antony. It's Life and death, love and war, it's excellent.

7.  Wilderness by Lance Weller.  Post American Civil War.  One man's journey to find redemption.

8.  The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss.  "the perfect combination of scrupulous research and breathless excitement."  A spy novel set in early America.

9. Freedom by William Safire.  I've already talked about this one this month (bookADay), but that's okay; it's worth another mention. A novel of Lincoln and the Civil War. One of my all time favorites.  It's comprehensive, and as clear a telling as one can find.

10.  Insomnia by Stephen King.  Liz called The Stand, or I might have chosen it.  Best apocalyptic ever.  But I also like Insomnia So Much.  For one thing.  I was suffering from insomnia myself when this came out, and it was like, WoW, this is exactly what it's like.,,it was so amazing that Stephen King Got it.  I was telling everybody to read that book, because it's exactly like this!  I still like it.

tagging: anyone who wants to play -- it's fun! You should give it a go.

Source: http://lizzy11268.booklikes.com/blog