Water Isn't That Interesting . . .

101 Fruit Infused Water Recipes - Liz Harper

. . . So I drink way too much other stuff, and always get called on it whenever I visit my doctor, any doctor -- regular doctor, eye doctor, neurologist, dermatologist, gynecologist, dentist, doesn't matter.  I tried to drink more water, but it's just too boring and I always managed to backslide. Until a couple of years ago when I discovered the trend for infusing your water with fruits, vegetables, and herbs, and it makes it so much easier to avoid sugar-loaded or chemical-loaded beverages of all kinds.

I used to drink at a minimum, four liters of Diet Coke daily.  Do you know how bad that stuff is for you?  Not that I cared then.  It's what kept me going, right?  But over a decade ago, all of my doctors were highly recommending I quit and of course, I argued and fought  and procrastinated, but after awhile you start noticing things are happening that you don't want to happen and you start to think that maybe they are right.  So you try, but it's hard, and you slip, but keep trying.  And I haven't had a Diet Coke for ten years, but I still succumb to the temptations of a real Coke now and then.  Unfortunately, the effects of so many years of abusing DC are still with me, and I'm afraid they always will be, but at least I'm not deteriorating further (I hope).

Liz Harper has put together a book with recipes of many combinations that she and her children have experimented with and found to be the best.  I especially like the bonus information she provides about the benefits you receive from the ingredients you choose to include in your water.

For example:  "Cucumber, Lemon, Mint and Rosemary Water. An infusion that boosts memory and the immune system. It also aids in digestion, weight loss and is good for the hair, eyes and skin."

or, "Blueberry, Pineapple and Strawberry Water. A drink for those concerned about bone and eye health. It also has antiaging benefits and is good for morning sickness, stress and anxiety."  She  includes info such as "it's okay to use the core of the pineapple," so you can be frugal, too.

It's nice to have 101 recipes because even fruit-infused water can get boring if you make the same flavor every single time.  My current favorite is Raspberry, Blueberry and Lime with Mint,  but when Summer gets here I'm looking forward to Watermelon and Cilantro, and Peach with Vanilla.

"Simply put, drinking water is the best beauty treatment you can give your body and the best energy source for your brain. Drinking 6 to 8 glasses a day ensures you have supple skin, shiny hair and strong nails. When you're dehydrated, fine lines and wrinkles are much more pronounced and your hair becomes dry.  Drinking plenty of water helps concentration, overcoming fatigue, and being more alert. Also, water in our body aids in digestion, circulation, transporting nutrients and maintaining optimum body temperature. Water also helps flush toxins from the body. Keeping yourself hydrated is the best way of allowing your body to function properly."

Enjoy.