So this wasn't really time travel . . .

Running Back - Freddy Y. Grant

. .  But instead was an age regression.

At the outset of the book, we meet Keith, a scientific researcher in his 40s. He is really not a very likable fellow; in fact I was finding him pretty loathsome -- rude, egotistical and self-centered, willing to twist the truth around to his advantage.  (I think he reminded me of my first husband. But enough of that)

His research project is to find ways to repair DNA, and the government and military are extremely interested in his work.  He is supposed to be reporting on his progress, but has been pretty adept so far at keeping his experiments a secret.

When he has a major breakthrough, he tests the serum on himself and manages to break out of the government facility to go on the run and pursue his dream.  He has been pursuing this goal for so many years because, here's the plan.  When he looks 17 again, he is going to go back to his hometown, find the wife and son he abandoned shortly after his son's birth, and get on his son's football team so they can play together.

Does that sound crazy to anybody but me?  Because I think it's a little bit crazy, stalkery and weird.

but guess what?  By the end of the book, I loved it.  Keith actually grows up while clad in his 17-year-old body.  Even as the government is closing in on him and circumstances are spinning out of his control, he develops character, gets a chance to make some reparations, learns the meaning of family and generally becomes a man anyone would be proud to know.

Do be warned that football plays a very important role in the middle section of the book, and you will be treated to play by play action for the better part of two football games.  Still, they were pretty good plays, so . . .

In the end, a very satisfying read.