Mary Coin - Marisa Silver

Another exemplary book that gives me lots to think about.

For instance, in the early chapters where Walker, a college professor, is teaching his students not to look, but to see; and when he attends his father's funeral and begins to realize how little children ever really know of their parents and of all the stories he has probably missed out on and will never learn.

Walker is divorced and sees his children for scheduled visits. The children are getting older and although he tries to keep the relationship strong and growing, he can feel strain starting to creep in which is sad and frustrating.

One of the reasons for Walker's failed marriage is his career. Although he teaches at a university, most of his free time is spent traveling for research purposes and it has been his habit to spend months at a time away from home. His field is anthropological sociology, and his favorite thing to do, his passion, is to sift through old records, rummage through attics and garages, and to draw conclusions as to why people do as they do.

When he performs this task in his father's home, he discovers a link to a photograph he knows, a famous picture taken by a nationally acclaimed photographer recognized for the historical importance of her work during the Depression. Walker starts researching and finds connections he never knew existed.

I loved this book and there was more I intended to say about it; unfortunately I have misplaced my notes so . . . Someday when I re-read it . . .