Favorite reads of September 2015

Out of twenty books, half were four-plus stars.  Woohoo!

we won't talk about the five books with two stars or less.

two of the Outstanding ones were nonfiction:

Sightings: Extraordinary Encounters with Ordinary Birds First edition by Keen, Sam (2007) Hardcover - Sam Keen  The Wright Brothers - David McCullough

Sightings by Sam Keen.  Keen has been a bird-watcher since childhood and he has written a series of essays highlighting the birds who have appeared at particular moments in his life and enhanced those moments creating particularly poignant memories.  Filled with beautiful language like this:

The Mourning Dove’s song is a ticket to travel, a time machine, a magic carpet that whisks me into the elsewhere. Time past, time present, and time future swirl into a single continuum. The remembered joy of the limitless mornings of childhood alternates with the sadness of the approaching twilight . . .

I added it to my ebook library already so I could save all the highlights, but I'm asking for it on my Christmas list as well.  It's one of those you need to have in hand.

The Wright Brothers by David McCullough.  My first McCullough, but definitely not my last.  This was super interesting and had me plowing through the Internet looking up more about the life and times of the Wrights.  It was fascinating reading.

Two historical fictions:

Girl Waits with Gun - Amy Stewart  The Four Books by Lianke, Yan (2015) Hardcover - Yan Lianke

Girl Waits With Gun by Amy Stewart.  it's 1914, and the Kopp sisters are on their own, determined to figure out how to make it in a man's world without the benefit of having a man to make sure they get it right.  Pleasepleaseplease let it be a series.  I want more.

and yes, it's on my To Buy list.

The Four Books by Lan Yianke.    The experiences of a group of people who were located to a Re-education Camp in 1950s China.  Not an easy read, but a compelling one.

Two Epic Fantasies:

The Desert Spear - Peter V. Brett  A Crown for Cold Silver - Alex Marshall

The Desert Spear by Peter Brett.  The second book in the series, and we switched emphasis from the northern part of the hemisphere to the southern.  I was very disappointed at first, but it didn't take me long to recover.  Turns out the southern part was every bit as fascinating as the northern part.  Next book is already available so I don't have to wait. Yay!  And I will be adding this series to my personal library.

A Crown For Cold Silver.  And this one too.  I just finished, and haven't fully processed it yet, so don't know what I want to say, except that I loved it.  It's a rich and complex world, there are plots inside plots, not everything, or maybe even most things are what they seem to be, and everything is covered: life, death, family, war, motivations, moral ambiguities.  It's big, and there seems to be no clues out at all as to when the next book is scheduled.  I'm waiting.

Three time travels:

The Future Memory Man: Episode Five of The Chronicles of the Harekaiian - Shanna Lauffey  Memoirs of a Dead White Chick - Lennox Randon  Traveler - Dennis W. Green

I love time travel.  But just because I do doesn't mean it gets a free pass.  Two of my two star reads this month were from the TT category.

But these three. these three are brilliant.