Who would do such a thing?

Irresponsible Reader posts a weekly feature, Saturday Miscellany, which I enjoy.  This week, he included a  link to an article on  the proper treatment of books.  I wanted to save the reference, and I've noticed a couple or three posts lately which were lamenting the condition of borrowed books when they are returned.  Besides, I could identify with the author's opening story:

"When I was in third grade, my teacher instituted a Mini Economy in our classroom, and I started a library, planning to exploit my enormous collection of Misty of Chincoteague and American Girl books.

When the first due date arrived, I realized my mistake: One of my favorite books had been returned in shreds, a huge split down the middle of the spine dividing the first half of the pages from the second. It was held together by mere threads.

I don’t recall who left my book in such tatters, but I do know one thing: A fierce protective instinct awoke in me that day. In the nearly two decades since, I’ve acquired stacks on stacks of books, but I rarely lend them out. The more I love them, the more I resist lending them."

My problem with lending books isn't so much getting them back damaged as never getting them back at all.

Click the link below to read the rest of the article.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stop-ruining-books_55f9a7eee4b0d6492d63ea5b