Room for "small stories"

Legends II - George R.R. Martin, Raymond E. Feist, Robin Hobb, Neil Gaiman, Elizabeth Haydon, Terry Brooks, Tad Williams, Robert Silverberg, Diana Gabaldon, Orson Scott Card, Anne McCaffrey Epic: Legends of Fantasy - Orson Scott Card, Ursula K. Le Guin, George R.R. Martin, Tad Williams, Juliet Marillier, Carrie Vaughn, Melanie Rawn, Kate Elliott, Trudi Canavan, Michael Moorcock, Paolo Bacigalupi, Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Mary Robinette Kowal, John Joseph Adams, Aliette d Unfettered - R.A. Salvatore, Lev Grossman, Tad Williams, Carrie Vaughn, Jacqueline Carey, Terry Brooks, Brandon Sanderson, Todd Lockwood, Peter Orullian, Patrick Rothfuss, David Anthony Durham, Eldon Thompson, Robert V.S. Redick, Geno Salvatore, Peter V. Brett, Blake Charlton, Mark

A good article by Chris Lough on the epicness of  epic fantasy; but also the side stories are pretty good too.

There are stories, small stories, that play out quietly in their entirety while I’m off paying attention to other characters. Missing these small stories in an epic makes that fantasy world feel more like our own. After all, how many stories do we miss in our own lives?

There is plenty of room in epic fantasy for the small stories, it seems. Not only that, but I’d go so far as to say that the “small stories” are what define the epic scope of fantasy. These are the “bricks” in the firmament of these worlds, the guarantee that there is something the reader can explore just over the horizon, the promise that there are real people affected by their world’s perch on the edge of doom. . .

This truth was obvious to editor Robert Silverberg when he assembled Legends. And to John Joseph Adams when he assembled Epic. And Shawn Speakman when he crafted Unfettered. The impact of small stories in epic fantasy certainly doesn’t escape George R. R. Martin, who has fashioned several epics, several anthologies, and ascended to the status of cultural icon on the strength of his “small stories.”

Source: http://www.tor.com/2015/09/15/is-there-any-room-in-epic-fantasy-for-the-small-story/?utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_term=na&utm_content=na_readblog_BlogPost&utm_campaign=9780765385215&et_cid=34326143&et_rid=177191