It's a time travel . . .

TimeRiders - Alex Scarrow Day of the Predator - Alex Scarrow The Doomsday Code - Alex Scarrow

. . . But, I don't love it.  Perhaps if I was still the  age of the intended audience, perhaps then I would have loved it -- If I was the age my grandchildren would be, if I had grandchildren; or even if my grandchildren were reading the books along with me, then I would probably think they were great.  As it is, I mainly found them tedious, trite, and sometimes even troubling.

trite: the first book was nazis (yawn); the second book was dinosaurs (okay, I'm never going to yawn at dinosaurs); and the third book was The Grail.  Like I said, if I was a young reader, this stuff would all still be fresh and new.  As it is, I've read these about a million times, so the characters, the story and the plot better be perfect.  Alas, not.

which brings us to tedious.  Anyone seen Tomorrowland yet?  How could it be so boring?  Once again, I suspect it's the age factor causing all the problems.

(Forgive my emphasis on years today, but I just had a birthday yesterday, so it's on my mind.)

In book three, the characters are trying and trying to wrap things up so they can get back to the present before the two AIs are scheduled to self-destruct. Should be tense-making, right? And I'm going, can we just get there already? -- this is taking forever.

the troubling parts were:

1). one adult grabs three teens out of life-or-death situations.

Then he drops them in a warehouse, sticks with them for about two months, showing them what is expected of them (protect the timeline), then abandons them with no way to contact the agency they are supposedly working for; not much in the way of resources except a mainframe computer that seems short on data; and private instructions to each of them that seems guaranteed to destroy any chance they may have had at being a cohesive unit.

2) Liam is from 1912 and the group is set down in New York in 2001.  Sal is from 2026 and Maddy is from 2012.  Obviously, there is a culture gap, but every time Liam tries to ask a question, he is quieted with, "just be, patient, Liam, we'll get to your questions later."  It made me want to grind my teeth on his behalf.  (When I'm not grinding them at his too obvious Irish accent and his propensity to drop JAY-sus! into nearly every sentence. )

3). then, they are left with the double indemnity of having no information on how to proceed with their mission (other than the vague "protect the timeline" thing, and a cheery wave of farewell) and the whispered instruction in the ear of each one which causes them all to keep secrets from each other thereby fomenting suspicion and distrust.  It's a recipe for disaster, I tell you.

4)  the attitude toward the genetically-enhanced clones with artificial intelligence.  Despite the fact that they bleed just like the rest of them and that they display ongoing learning and can convey human emotions, everyone persists in calling the AI units "robot meat bags" and treating them as disposal.

5)  one more thing of note: once he used slither instead of sliver, and once beach instead of beech.

So those were the bad things.  I read three of them though, so there was a little bit of good, right?  There are a lot of unknowns that I sort of want to know the answers to:  who is this mysterious agency and what is it that they are really trying to accomplish?  There's more to the backstory of each of the team members, and I'm a little curious to know more about that.

but, to date, there's nine books in the series and I'm really not motivated to pick up the next one.  Maybe at some later date.  And as I said already, if I was twelve, I would probably think this series "was the cat's pajamas." (No, really I'm not that old -- what does that even mean?)

Link to one Reading Progress post: http://redthaws.booklikes.com/post/1180835/british-american-english