DNF at 50%

I'm too impatient to deal with this book any longer.  If it had been translated from French, or if the author was an ESLer, I could be more forgiving.

But his interchangeable use of prepositions has become intolerable.  in, on, to etc each have distinct meanings and it is nonsensical to think that you can use any of them at any given time:  "they led us for Bastille;" "I kissed Pierre lightly in the lips;" "There were shrill, commanding yells on the rainy courtyard."

his usage of "a," "an," and "the" is also problematical, putting them in when they're not needed and choosing to leave them out when it would be better if they were there.

breath for breathe, lest for least, device for devise and even advice, quaffed for scoffed, rouge for rogue.

way too many to mention, and way too many for me to tolerate them for even one sentence more.

"my piece of mind was gone."

another maddening device of the author's is his decision to write this as a letter, so every few sentences there is a " . . . , Marie,. . ." thrown in just so you don't forget that this is a letter, a 516-page letter.

but the most egregious error is that he unfailingly refers to one of the political groups as "Girdonists."

i can take no more.