The Legend of Davy Crockett -- an Homage

The Darwath Series: The Time of the Dark, The Walls of Air, and The Armies of Daylight - Barbara Hambly

[two people from California, Rudy and Gil, have been transported to a parallel universe, a medieval-type world where the population is fighting for its very existence against an alien horror.]

“Sure is lucky for our side,” Gil added judiciously, poking at the fox mess in a corner of the cave, “that we didn’t find a grizzly holed up here for the winter.”

Rudy sniffed scornfully. “If we had, I’da slayed it with mah bowie knife. Then you wimmenfolk coulda skinned it.”

“Aaah, you lie like a rug, white man.”

“Hey!” he protested, turning. “I’ll have you remember I slayed a dragon. Not bad,” he added, “for a poor boy who was borned on a mountaintop in Tennessee.”

Gil paused in her investigation of the smoke- blackened ceiling and looked at him with new respect. “Even if it is the greenest state in the land of the free,” she agreed, nodding gravely. “Was you raised in the woods, then?”

“ ’Til I knew every tree,” Rudy asserted proudly.

“Do you know what they’re talking about?” Alde asked quietly of Ingold, who was listening to this interchange in mystified astonishment. Bemused, the wizard shook his head.

“It’s the ancient lore of our people,” Gil explained. . .